Saturday, October 16, 2010

We've had a few rough days

That metal tubing on our awning is suppose to be all the way to the black part, a low hanging branch hit it when we were coming through the campground that I had told the KOA people that I didn't think our motor home could go around the corner, no problem, the guy says, just follow me........
It didn't look like we were the first to have hit it
It took us a good hour to just get out of the KOA campground, every time we would move someone would be coming in and there just wasn't room enough for us, I unhooked our car so many times I thought I should join a Nascar pit crew, but it got worse......
We had to turn down a street that we didn't know where it went, it was the only way we could go.....it ended at a small gravel road, I unhooked the car and we were getting ready to turn our 40 feet around when a woman came out and said we could make it down that road,
She gave us good directions to get to the freeway, but what she didn't know is when the dirt road washed out and left 45 degree angle to the road, a 40 foot motor home looks pretty close to tipping over sideways.  I was in the PT Cruiser thinking, Oh no, it's going to tip.  Cindy was in the motor home saying not so nice words.  I kid you not, it was scary.  Sorry the camera was in the motor home, don't think Cindy was in the mood to take any pictures though.

Once we find our road, Interstate 81 we don't get off it for nothing, stayed in the rest stop that night, didn't get off the road except for diesel for two days.  It's an interesting road, it sneaks around the back of all the main cities, comes within 40 miles of Washington DC, misses New York, it was not only our paradise, but it is the trucker's paradise

There were 10 trucks for every 2 cars, I grew up with trucks, built trucks, I was shocked and in awe at how many trucks there were on this road, and moving right along too


These are the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background. We had been on this road in Canada, New York, Pennsylvania and here in Virginia, it would take us shortly through West Virginia, Maryland, and then finally though Tennessee, to our destination in Nashville

The leaves are finally changing, as we wind through the Allegheny Mountains, and go through the middle of the Appalachian Mountains, I didn't know that the Smokey Mountains were a park that was created to save some of the Appalachian forest because they had cut almost all of it down to build the east coast up

We are in Nashville right now, we are going to stay a few days, try some of their BBQ, as I hear Tennessee has got very good BBQ, then off we go to Memphis

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! How scary to be driving at such an angle. I would have freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling the need for some Mustard BBQ sauce. I'll pay you:)

    ReplyDelete