Sunday, October 10, 2010

Off to the best BBQ in the United States, according to Good Morning America

Years ago I went to the Dinosaur Bar B Que, in Syracuse New York, some may have  seen me with my treasured t shirt from there that has flames down the sleeves, and a big dinosaur on front with a huge rack of ribs Ala Fred Flinstone style.  Any way when I was there it was a biker's bar, , I got into a little bit of trouble there and Cindy has always wanted to see it, so we did.  It was so packed we couldn't get in, not too seriously looking bikers now days though, we ordered to go and ate in our car, it was wonderful, don't know if I would call it best in U.S. but it's up there.
We also went to the Eerie Canal Museum, great place, learned that there were actually 3 canals, first one was 40 feet wide and 4 feet deep, too small so they widened it to 70 feet and 7 feet deep, the trains were carrying more and more cargo, some didn't think they needed the canal anymore, but Teddy Roosevelt, Governor of New York at the time said, make it bigger, so that's when it became a barge canal, 140 feet wide and 12 feet deep.  We keep following the canal, it's still in use, I didn't know it was so extensive, most impressive.

We went back to the mines everyday for 3 days, I loved it, went to the Ace Mines also, serious mining there, take a look, you can park your camper right next to the rock pile and stay awhile.

For $8 and a dollar for a hammer rental, you can pound on these rocks all day long, you are looking for these Herkimer Diamonds, they are found in voids in the rock, they are clear, many faceted, and have two terminus points

They come in clusters and singles, have impurities in them sometimes, but  they are all worth some thing and known the world over, they have found these diamonds in only a few places worldwide

2 comments:

  1. OMG! So very jealous you got to dig for Herkimer diamonds! I believe I would stay there until I had bloody stumps...knowing the BIG rock was just in the next mud clod! Glad to hear you enjoyed your east coast BBQ, and very glad you are back in the U. S. of A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't charge you anything if you come to my house and pound on a rock. I'll even lend you the hammer. You won't find any diamonds, though, just little rocks:)

    ReplyDelete