Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oklahoma where the wind blows and kept blowing

I don't mind the wind, Cindy is dealing with it and I feel for her, and Jerry too, but I am looking at the clouds, we are in Tornado alley after all
Looks like a suspicous cloud to me

My Mom said watch for a funnel forming under the clouds, so that's what I'm doing, looks like one to me, but we keep driving towards Oklahoma City, following Chuck and Jerry, who we met in Branson and are going to Oklahoma with

Nobody pays any attention to me, and my family came from here, I've been here many times, I know something about those tornado clouds.............

Speaking of family, this is my Uncle Warren, we meet him for dinner in OKC, where he lives,Warren say's he just got himself some "electric ears" and he isn't used to them yet, so we have to repeat alot

We are still on our quest for the best BBQ and my Uncle says Earl's is pretty good

This woman gives us the best service we have had any where, and Earl's turns out to be a real good idea, Nashville is still the best but this was very close

The next day we go off to discover Route 66, they take it very seriously in Oklahoma, the man who's idea it was to build the road from Chicago to LA was from Oklahoma

We follow Route 66 into downtown, to the Memorial of the Federal Building
Very well done, it takes up the whole area where the Federal Building used to be
A reflective pond with the chairs representing everyone who died are to the left of the pond


Downtown is very quiet, really not much traffic at all, this new development called Bricktown, is also in Downtown, they've even got water taxi's ala, San Antonio, I'm trying to figure out where they got the water, so we have to go and see
Sure enought there is a canal with a water taxi, don't know where they got the water from but it's there, very cute 

Okalahoma City has a ballpark in it's downtown area too, and it's on Mickey Mantel Drive
We decide to eat in Bricktown, here at Crab town, I'm not making that up

Here we are in Oklahoma and what's on the menu but IVAR'S CLAM CHOWDER, the world is getting smaller and smaller
The rest was all Southern cooking, beans and rice, pork chop and catfish

2 comments:

  1. Stan and I drove Route 66 several years ago and loved it. We visited the Will Rogers Museum in Oklahoma. When you get to New Mexico look for Ship rock - quite a road mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. to my last comment...with all this tornado business around you, please, please do NOT go over the rainbow without me!! Want to visit the flying monkeys, bad!

    ReplyDelete