Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We are finally retired in Yuma

Gracie is on her last nerve and is counting to 10, we must stop this motor home before she goes crazy, and we do, we reach Yuma, where my parents came in the winter for many years and now our friends, Chuck and Jerry are

This is Chuck and Jerry's lot, we, of course, are on the left, and they are on the right


This area of Yuma, where they live is called the Foothills, because of these hills, Gracie has all ready had two baths, because she has found something dead to roll in here
This is Jerry and his sister, Darlene, who lives just a few houses down from him

Nancy Hobby comes down from her wintering place in Dessert Edge, and off we go to get in to trouble in Mexico


Since my feet and legs are not doing great we figure if we want to go into Mexico we will have to drive in rather than walk across, so we fuel up, Jerry tells us to, and off we go, we read up on the Internet that we don't need a bunch of papers if we are going no more than 20 kilometers of the border


We drive in behind this white car, the arm goes up and we are in Mexico, nobody is at the gate, not a guard, nobody

We peek into Mexico, very giddy, we are driving in Mexico, I don't know how many times my Dad told me never to drive in Mexico, he must be rolling over in his grave right now!


Everything looks about the same as when you walk in, whole bunch of places to get your teeth fixed, eyes fixed, and pills, liquor and all kinds of stuff
We drive out past the border when we realize, neither one of us know what 20 kilometers is, so we turn back toward the border

It is funny when you think about it, I have been all over Puerto Vallarta, Mazatland, and Mexico City, but I feel that I am pushing the limits by driving a few miles into Mexico at the border

So we come back to Algadones, park the car, take note that we are at the beer bottle, so we can find ourselves and go shopping
First stop is the pharmacy, the Canadians have told us best buy is the zip packs of antibiotics, so we each buy 4 of them, they are only $5 a piece, then, in that jar to the left of him is a salve made of penicillin, nothing will get us, we will be invincible!

After I have bought Cindy some of the finest gold necklaces in Mexico, and have almost bought 3 Mexican men in sombrero's to put in my yard, we rest at the Mexican restaurant

Nancy talks me into eating something, I think not, no Montezuma revenge for me, but she assures me I am being dumb, so I order up 3 taco's, which are very good, and then.....

I finish my Diet Coke and I am peering at a bee, that has been drowned for quite some time, as I have been drinking it down
Good day to you, Mexican Pigeons
I get a 2 foot tall turtle that is carrying a sign that says Welcome, a metal seahorse sculpture, all things I could not live without, so we get in the car and head back to the border crossing
Oops, the line is at least a mile long, this could take a while

In fact, this takes 2 1/2 hours to get to the border, during which vendors are trying to sell all kinds of things to you, which we succumb to just a few, an apron for Chuck, vases and plates for both Chuck and Jerry, and little flying dragons for us

We can figure out what the 50 cents is for but what in the heck do you get for 6 dollars, a bath?
We continue to wait in line, and spend a few minutes here wondering what is behind these doors for $6
We are sort of resting in Algodones, in line at the border

Notice our flying dragons on the dash, good buy for a dollar a piece huh? Finally we are at the U.S. Border and the sun is setting, boy would my Dad be mad if he knew we were here after dark, the crossing is uneventful, and off we go back to sedate Yuma, by comparison.  Tomorrow we will be looking into the sex life of the Date Tree, you won't want to miss that, it's pretty racy

1 comment:

  1. POOR GRACIE!! She's 'a delicate flower' just like me when it comes to having to endure horrendous heat!! Love the Southwest pics, since this is what I grew up in until 1986 when we relocated to WONDERFUL WA...with actual green foliage! Can't believe you just 'sashayed' into Mexico, as in just walked in! You could've been smuggling in all sorts of contraband and goodies and who would know! Just grateful you were not kidnapped by very bad Mexican people, and held for a huge ransom! This occurs ALL THE TIME to Americans tourist at an alarming rate...(been watching discovery channel so I'm really hip to this!) Still can't believe that folks VOLUNTARILY go to Yuma! "Delicate Flowers" like Gracie and myself, just aren't built for such a thermal environment!!

    ReplyDelete